About time, too. Here’s the information:
Microsoft enforces the policy that searching from Cortana opens the search in Bing and on Microsoft Edge. Searchifier enables you to search with whatever browser and search engine you want, seamlessly. It’s under a five second install, and allows you freedom in using a great feature of Windows 10. Lightweight (under a megabyte), unintrusive (doesn’t run in the background), and fast, it’s a necessary purchase for anyone looking to augment and enhance their Windows experience.
SEARCHIFIER TRIAL DOWNLOAD
SEARCHIFIER PURCHASE PAGE
It’s, of course, DRM and virus free (duh).
| My Website
Okay, so this is an update of what happened with the whole “I accidentally wiped my entire hard drive”.
The Non-Techie Version
If you don’t know much about computers, read this.
I accidentally told the program that the folder it should delete was my main hard drive when it was uninstalling itself. Not much else to it.
The “I know that arrays start at 0” Version
- The uninstall string I set for the program in the registry passes the argument “uninstall” to my program.
- My program takes the argument and knows it’s about to uninstall itself. It then asks for admin access.
- Once achieving admin access, it then copies itself to a temporary directory. This is the TEMP path in Windows.
- The original program starts the copy of itself with two arguments: “uninstall”, and the path of the original. In this case, it was “C:/Program Files/Searchifier/searchifier.exe”.
- The program knows since it got passed an argument with a path to delete it and uninstall registry keys and the like.
- However, the path I passed was not verbatim. Therefore, the arguments passed looked like this: uninstall C:/Program Files/Searchifier/searchifier.exe
- This caused a massive problem. Since there is a space between ‘Program’ and ‘Files’, Windows feeds that to my program as THREE separate arguments, not two.
- My program receives three arguments:
- The program only cares about the first two. It knows it’s going to uninstall itself, so first it tries to delete the file at the location “C:/Program”. This fails, but the program continues on.
- It next attempts to delete the directory at which the program resides. To do this, it gets the parent folder of the path it just tried to delete. This is… the C: drive.
- It then calls a recursive delete function on “C:”.
- I then spend the next 6 days in deep depression trying to recover all my files. 🙂
With that, SEARCHIFIER is now out! I’ll make another post about this later as well, but it’s now officially [HERE].
| My Website
I remember a while ago (probably a year or two), my sister brought her computer over to my family’s house and thrust it at me. “It’s not working.” Was her wholly unhelpful description of the problem. Being used to this sort of treatment, I pressed the power button to begin troubleshooting. Almost instantly, the screen came to life and displayed nothing else but a missing drive icon. “Looks like a failed hard drive.” Was my response. “You backed up, right?” Of course she hadn’t. Luckily, by analyzing the hard drive from an external source, we were able to recover all of her important information. This was a lesson to me, always back up. Your computer could fail when you least expect it.
Or at least, I thought I learned a lesson. It was eleven o’clock the other night when I was testing out the uninstall function of my new program. It was alllllmost ready for release, 99% done. Just had to get the uninstallation feature correct. Everything was working perfectly. And then I did what no developer should ever do (apparently). Ran it on my main computer (production). As a developer/coder, all sorts of crap can always go wrong, so you should always have a layer of protection between programs and your main working computer. Going with that, you should never test on production (the main server you use for anything, company-wise or not). I ran the program, and everything looked great. Now time to test the uninstallation function. I went to the apps list on Windows, and confidently clicked “Uninstall”. My app, as planned, requested admin permissions. I clicked “Yes” without a second thought. And waited.
Nothing happened. So I clicked uninstall again. Same result. That’s odd. I thought to myself. I’ll check the code. I opened up File Explorer to see that half the folders in my C: drive were missing. …What? Was my first thought. I backed out to “My Computer” view to find that I had an extra 500 GB of space available to me that had been freshly freed up not 10 seconds ago. My hand shakily moused over the Recycle Bin, praying that the files would be there. But no. A quick Google search later proved my suspicions correct, and that my code bypassed the Recycle Bin. I still have no idea what happened, but the deletion of my files was so severe that as I was powering down the computer to try and save as much data for data recovery later, Windows was throwing errors about being unable to find critical system files and .dlls.
My guess as to what happened? Actually not sure. You can bet I’m going to post an update when I figure it out though. The data recovery program I’m using says that it’s gonna take 10 more hours at least for just my Documents folder, though. Lesson learned. Always keep backups.
| My Website
Just released a simple mouse dodge game where you avoid blocks with your mouse. It’s quite simple and was a small two day side-project that I worked on while waiting for other stuff to complete. Enjoy!
Newgrounds Link (Web)
Itch.io Link (Downloadable)
| My Website
Stay in the Circle has reached Testflight and is prepping for release!
In order to publish the best product possible, I’m looking for casual beta testers. You will simply gain access to the app and be allowed to report any feedback you have. Please notify me with anything you have comments and critique on.
Sign up for the beta testing HERE (if you have an iPhone):
| My Website